Do you use Google to look up things?
· I do occasionally.
Recently I was informed my Google background meant what I had to offer was suspect.
· So I had a look to see what was in there.
· What I found was just a single article from my local newspaper (in 2012).
· This was written to promote some Kindle books I had published at that time.
· But that was all there was!
So you might be both skeptical and wary as my informant was.
· Until then I had not realised that reference would be the base for an assessment of me.
· And what I have to offer as well.
But my experience is much more comprehensive than conveyed by Google.
· Google doesn’t even reference my journalistic activities in the same newspaper.
· For twenty years I had written a weekly article on the local art scene.
· Although that did finish twenty years ago.
But my experience is actually broader than that.
· For example I have written in other newspapers and magazines on sport.
· My writing style has developed from my journalistic background.
I also write for two art magazines – even now, one national and published monthly.
· The other is international and published bi-monthly in the USA.
· I have had articles in each issue for around 15 and 10 years respectively.
· The focus in both is on earning an income from an art career.
I offer business advice for artists and many have responded to that.
· Often they have been represented by galleries, who can provide quite a deal of knowledge.
· But my background is extremely broad and based on actual experience.
I have made mistakes and also learned what to do, often years later.
· I doubt if anyone has real world experience in these areas:
· Hiring/renting your works, actually running a gallery, teaching/running an art school, money from copyright via prints and also in other ways, setting up a retirement plan, having sell-out exhibitions, making money from commissions, obtaining referrals, how to sell, and obtaining and using an agent.
· You should have access to that information.
· You can at the Expansion career guides portal of this website.
You might expect to find this background in Google.
· But there is one thing about experience – it is all in the past.
· Some of that is quite a long way in the past and likely to pre-date Google.
I have actually written a (very) comprehensive background to my career.
· It has been serialised as the Art Professional Marketing story through this website.